“Most of narcissism’s critics, however, do not evince much concern for its sufferers, whom they regard with more Schadenfreude than pity. They just find all this expression of ego to be grating, gauche, and borderline immoral—like wearing tights as pants, talking during movies, or being Snooki. This is our new cultural mini-monster, somewhere down the scale from terrorists and pedophiles, in the general vicinity of Charlie Sheen and those people who go nuts during American Idol auditions: the Raging Narcissist. Press coverage of that music study conveys the sense that a song like Keri Hilson’s “Pretty Girl Rock”—whose refrain runs, “Don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful”—is a substantial threat to the nation’s soul.”
- fotzepolitic said: I loved this paragraph. It got to the heart of the narcissism epidemic panic.
- hautepop said: I thought it was a decent article - how about you? Really interesting to see the quantitative analysis backing it up.
- smalltalktumblr reblogged this from modernandmaterialthings
- contusioexistentialis likes this
- mintarr likes this
- modernandmaterialthings posted this